I’ve been perplexed with a problem lately as a network engineer. Obviously the use of Public/Hybrid clouds from third party providers causes a lack of any sort of visibility for a network engineers.
The question is…how do we…as network engineers gain the visibility necessary to see the health of the cloud and performance within the network.
Here are a few ideas that one can utilize to start gaining more visibility for an engineer to help with performance metrics and troubleshooting:
- Monitor all server equipment nic cards.
- Smokeping between different servers
- Monitor local bandwidth going out to the cloud
- Trending reports will tell you if the cloud has issues
- Have a Network Host in the cloud that is dedicated to running latency, jitter numbers utilizing smokeping